Trying something a little new. I started by filling my paper all over with pieces of magazine paper ripped into chunks about 1-2 inches in size. I looked for textures in green since I know I wanted the final picture subject to be leaves.
Next I made my drawing……
I traced this onto tracing paper and then used transfer paper to copy it to my magazine paper collage. After copying it with the graphite paper I used my brush marker (by Pitt) to trace over all the outlines and make them stand out.
Starting on the left side I painted the background with acrylic paint in Titan Buff mixed with a little glazing fluid and a wet brush. Some areas I went back over for more coverage and in some areas I wiped some of the paint off. This view is a little less than half done. Remember, only the background–the negative space– gets painted. The positive areas have the collage showing through.
Finished product! I like it but one thing I learned from this experiment is to keep my positive area shapes larger and the composition a little simpler. Some of the black outlining was lost in the painting but that was an easy fix with my brush marker. This is collage #11 for the year and one in my second group of 5/week collages. This group of 5’s theme is nature–I’ll be posting the rest in the next day or so but I wanted to share the process of this one with all of you.
Tell me what new processes you’ve tried this year–I’d love to be inspired!